#Dublin Literary Award 2019
Dublin Literary Award 2019
- This is one of the most prestigious
- …international literary awards.
- Books by Irish authors are my top priority as well as
- Australian and New Zealand writers.
- You can see a complete long list
- at Lisa’s website ANZ LitLovers
- Nominations include 39 novels in translation with
- …works by authors from 41 countries.
- Shortlist will be announced 4 April 2019 – UPDATE!
- Award will be announced 12 June 2019.
- I want to read as many books on these lists…as I can:
- …Irish, Australian, New Zealand, Dutch, Belgian writers.
Irish books nominated:
- Midwinter Break – Bernard MacLaverty– READ SHORTLIST
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies – John Boyne (personal favorite writer!)
- Conversations With Friends – Sally Rooney SHORTLIST (I will give SR another chance!)
- Mrs Osmond – John Banville
- A Line Made by Walking – Sara Baume
- Smile – Roddy Doyle (personal favorite writer!)
- The Blood Miracles – Lisa McInerney
- The Dead House – Billy O’Callaghan
- Ithaca – Alan McMonagle
- Acts of Allegiance – Peter Cunningham
Australian and New Zealand books nominated:
- The New Animals – Pip Adam (New Zealand)
- A Long Way From Home – Peter Carey (Australia)
- Marlborough Man – Alan Carter (New Zealand)
- Terra Nullius – Claire G. Coleman (Indigenous Australian)
- The Life to Come – Michelle de Kretser (Australia)
- Her – Garry Disher (Australia)
- Decline and Fall on Savage Street – Fiona Farrell (New Zealand)*
- First Person – Richard Flanagan (Australia)*
- Sleeps Standing Moetu – Witi Ihimaera, (Maori, New Zealand)
- Baby – Annaleese Jochems (New Zealand)
- The Choke – Sofie Laguna (Australia)
- Incredible Floridas – Stephen Orr (Born in New Zealand, Australian resident)
- Through the Lonesome Dark – Paddy Richardson (New Zealand)
- The Fish Girl – Miranda Riwoe (Australia)
- See What I Have Done – Sarah Schmidt (Australia)
- Taboo – Kim Scott (Indigenous Australian) – READING SHORTLIST? ( ..tip from Brona)*
- The Necessary Angel – C.K. Stead (New Zealand)
- And Fire Came Down – Emma Viskic (Australia)
- Clear to the Horizon – Dave Warner (Australia)*
Dutch/Belgian longlist….that I will read:
- Monte Carlo – Peter Terrin (Belgian) – READ (… review soon)
- The Consequences – Nina Weijers (Dutch) –READ (..review soon)
- Tench – Inge Schilperoord (Dutch)…about paedophile...not reading it!
- Reservoir 13 J. McGregor – READING – SHORTLIST (English village,missing girl…review Lisa)
- Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie – READING SHORTLIST (immigrants…review Brona)
- Conversations With Friends – S. Rooney READING SHORTLIST (give SR another chance!)
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders – READ SHORTLIST (review Brona)
- Midwinter Break – Bernard MacLaverty– READ SHORTLIST (review Brona)
- Compass by M. Énard – NOT reading – SHORTLIST Prix Goncourt 2015 “un rien ennuyant”
- Idaho by Emily Ruskovich – SHORTLIST (family epic, rugged Idaho)
- American author Emily Ruskovich has won the prestigious 2019 International Dublin Literary Award for her debut novel Idaho.
- The €100,000 prize is the world’s largest prize for a single novel published in English and Emily is the fourth American author to win the prize in 24 years.
- A Boy in Winter by Rachel Seiffert – NOT reading SHORTLIST (WWII, review Lisa)
- History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund – NOT reading – SHORTLIST (review Lisa)
- Exit West by Mohsin Hamid – READING – SHORTLIST (review Lisa and Brona)
- MY SHORLIST
- Pachinko by Jin Min Lee – READING (500 pg saga, review Sue and Brona)
- Brother by David Chariandy – READING !! (Powerful, bold and timely, Canadian)
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by G. Honeyman – READING
- The Hate U Give by A. Thomas – READING (..must read this, NYT Bestseller YA novel))
- Tin Man by Sarah Winman – READING (review Lisa)
DUBLIN LITERARY AWARD 2019 LONGLIST:
- Go, Went, Gone by Jenny Erpenbeck – READ! NOT ON SHORTLIST !!!
- SHORTLIST for sure – my choice as winner!
- …but I still have to read Irish and Australian/New Zealand books!
- You Should Have Left by Daniel Kehlmann – NOT reading
- To Die in Spring by Ralf Rothmann – NOT reading
- Kruso by Lutz Seiler – NOT reading
- Escape From Sunset Grove by Minna Lindgren – NOT reading
- My Cat Yugoslavia by Pajtim Statovci – NOT reading
- They Know Not What They Do by Jussi Valtonen – NOT reading
- A House in Norway by Vigdis Hjorth – NOT reading
- The History of Bees by Maja Lunde – NOT reading
- The Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting – NOT reading
- Beartown / The Scandal by Fredrik Backman – NOT reading (50 % ice hockey, not my sport)
- Naondel ; the Red Abbey Chronicles by Maria Turtschaninoff – NOT reading ( rape, abuse)
- Special Envoy by Jean Echenoz- NOT reading (polar, detective)
- The 7th Function of Language by Laurent Binet– READING – SHORTLIST? (tip from Sue)
- Compass by Mathias Énard – NOT reading – SHORTLIST
- The End of Eddy by Edouard Louis – NOT reading Just 192 pages of pure misery
- Radiant Terminus by Antoine Volodine – NOT reading ( parallel universes)
- Of Darkness by Josefine Klougart – NOT reading (apocalyptic novel)
- Mirror, Shoulder, Signal by Dorth Nors – NOT reading (woman with driving anxiety)
- The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao by Martha Batalha –NOT reading (no plot, depressing)
- A Poison Apple by Michel Laub – NOT reading (depressing, suicide)
- A Vineyard in Andalusia by Maria Dueñas – NOT reading (pg 544 historical fiction, polished draft!)
- The Invented Part by Rodrigo Fresán – NOT reading (masturbating to Bob Dylan, jick)
- Return to the Dark Valley by Santiago Gamboa – NOT reading (violence, rapes, torture, mutilation)
- Like a Fading Shadow by Antonio Muñoz Molina – NOT reading (…like J.E. Ray bio on Wikipedia)
- Heretics by Leonardo Padura – READING – SHORTLIST?
- Fever Dream by Samantha Schweblin NOT reading ( depressing, Amanda lies terminally ill)
- The Harvest of Chronos by Mojca Kumerdej – NOT reading ( no GR reviews…not taking chance)
- Ferocity by Nicola Lagioia – NOT reading (dubious tedious leery depiction of women.)
- The Temptation to be Happy by Lorenzo Marone – NOT reading ?? (..old fellow ) SHORTLIST?
- Adua by Igiaba Scego NOT reading (Italian colonization of East Africa, Somali immigrant)
- The Death of the Perfect Sentence by Rein Raud – NOT reading (spy novel/love story in Estonia)
- The Impossible Fairytale by Han Yujoo – NOT reading
- The Image Interpreter by Zoran Živković – NOT READING
- The Changeling by Victor LaValle – NOT reading (…bland writing, Neil Gaiman feel….)
- Pachinko by Jin Min Lee – READING (500 pg saga, tip from Sue and Brona) SHORTLIST?
- The Barrowfields by Phillip Lewis – NOT reading (368 pg dysfunctional family sagas)
- Mama’s Maze by Agnes Ong – NOT reading (Malaysia, daughter with mentally ill mother)
- Stay With Me by A. Adébáyọ̀ – NOT reading ( family tragedy in Nigeria) SHORTLIST ?
- 4321 by Paul Auster – NOT reading (866 pages..to massive) SHORTLIST ?
- Little Fires Everywhere by C. Ng – NOT reading ( complex family/small-town) SHORTLIST?
- The Trick by Emanuel Bergmann – NOT reading SHORTLIST ?
- The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes by Bridget Canning – NOT reading
- Dragon Springs Road by Janie Chang – NOT reading (…slow book)
- Brother by David Chariandy – READING !! (Powerful, bold and timely, Canadian) SHORTLIST?
- What We Lose by Zinzi Clemmons – NOT reading ( coming of age…again!)
- The Last Beothuk by Gary Collins – NOT reading (New Foundland historical fiction…hmmm)
- In the Distance by Hernan Diaz – NOT reading (The Odyssey…in American West) SHORTLIST?
- Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan – NOT reading ( mind-numbing boring)
- American War by Omar El Akkad – NOT reading ( horrifying dystopian novel)
- This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel – NOT reading ( transgender children) SHORTLIST?
- The Leavers by Lisa Ko – NOT reading (Chinese village)
- History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund – NOT reading – SHORTLIST
- Here in Berlin by Cristina Garcia – NOT reading (man in Berlin with a camera)
- Dreams Beyond the Shore by Tamika Gibson – NOT reading (two different type teenagers)
- There Your Heart Lies by Mary Gordon – NOT reading ( Spanish Civil War…and a woman)
- Little Sister by Barbara Gowdy – NOT reading ( bizarre, bland from Canada)
- The Road to Shenzhen by Huang Guosheng – NOT reading (no GR reviews…no risks)
- How to Stop Time by Matt Haig – NOT reading (40 yr guy…with special power, bah)
- Exit West by Mohsin Hamid – NOT reading SHORTLIST
- All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai – NOT reading (another time travel narrative)
- The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott – NOT reading (depressing book, Irish, nuns, Brooklyn)
- Reservoir 13 J. McGregor – READING – SHORTLIST (English village,missing girl, tip from Lisa).
- Gather the Daughters by Jennie Melamed – NOT reading ( rape, child abuse , incest, bah)
- The Forensic Records Society by Magnus Mills – NOT reading (…vinyl record club?)
- Elmet by Fiona Mozley – NOT reading (allegory of the feudal nature of land)
- The Sparsholt Affair by Alan Hollinghurst – NOT reading (two boys attending Oxford University)
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by G.Honeyman – READING – SHORTLIST?
- Darker by E.L. James – NOT reading (…average sad guy…)
- The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin – NOT reading (SF books…not for me) SHORTLIST?
- First Snow, Last Light by Wayne Johnston – NOT reading
- The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce – NOT reading (healing power of music for two lovers…)
- Spaceman of Bohemia by Jaroslav Kalfař – NOT reading (intergalactic odyssey of love, ambition)
- English Animals by Laura Kaye – NOT reading (girl gets job in a country house in rural England)
- A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates – NOT reading (752 pg lonely/empty hearts)
- Uncertain Weights and Measures by Jocelyn Parr – NOT reading (love story, scientist and artist)
- Next Year, For Sure by Zoey Leigh Peterson – NOT reading
- Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore – NOT reading (reincarnation and rape, ugh.)
- No One is Coming to Save Us by S. Watts – NOT reading (Great Gatsby recast in the US South)
- The Bedlam Stacks by N. Pulley – NOT reading (smuggler journeying to Peru seeks quinine)
- White Bodies by Jane Robins – NOT reading (psychological thriller about twin sisters, cringe)
- Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson – NOT reading (Canadian YA novel )
- The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy – NOT reading (not a fan of author)
- Breathe by Beni Rusani – NOT reading (…medical novel, not my thing)
- The Golden House by Salman Rushdie – NOT reading
- Idaho by Emily Ruskovich – NOT reading SHORTLIST (family epic, rugged, desolate Idaho)
- The Bridge Troll Murders by Sheldon Russell – NOT reading
- No One Can Pronounce My Name R Satyal – NOT reading (immigrants – Americanized offspring)
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders – READ SHORTLIST (…not a fan of Saunders!)
- The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by L. See – NOT reading (tea farming) SHORTLIST ?
- A Boy in Winter by Rachel Seiffert – NOT reading SHORTLIST (WWII, Nazis’ arrival in Ukraine)
- Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie – READING SHORTLIST (immigrants…tip Brona) SHORTLIST?
- The Woman in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck – NOT reading (WW II, in crumbling Bavarian castle)
- House of Spies by Daniel Silva – NOT reading (…but not about to start in middle of series)
- The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson & Nicole Galland – NOT reading
- Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout – NOT reading
- My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent – NOT reading
- The Hate U Give by A. Thomas – READING (..must read this) SHORTLIST?
- Temporary People by Deepak Unnikrishnan – NOT reading
- Borne by Jeff Van der Meer – NOT reading
- Sing, Unburied, Sing by J. Ward – NOT reading (magical realism not my thing) SHORTLIST?
- Girlcott by Florenz Webb Maxwell – NOT reading
- When the English Fall by David Williams – NOT reading
- Tin Man by Sarah Winman – READING (..tip from Lisa) SHORTLIST?
- Lost in September by Kathleen Winter – NOT reading
- The Resurrection of Joan Ashby by Cherise Wolas – NOT reading
- The Book of Joan by Lidia Yuknavitch – NOT reading
- 2018: Solar Bones by Mike McCormack (Irish)
- 2017: A General Theory of Oblivion by José Eduardo Agualusa (Angolan),
- 2016: Family Life by Akhil Sharma (American)
- 2015: Harvest by Jim Crace (British)
- 2014: The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez (Colombian),
- 2013: City of Bohane by Kevin Barry (Irish)
- 2012: Even the Dogs by Jon McGregor (British)
- 2011: Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (Irish)
- 2010: The Twin by Gerbrand Bakker (Dutch)
- 2009: Man Gone Down by Michael Thomas (American)
- 2008: De Niro’s Game by Rawi Hage (Lebanese / Canadian)
- 2007: Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson (Norwegian)
- 2006: The Master by Colm Toibín (Irish)
- 2005: The Known World by Edward P. Jones (American)
- 2004: This Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar Ben Jelloun (Moroccan)
- 2003: My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (Turkish) – READ
- 2002: Atomised by Michel Houellebecq (French)
- 2001: No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod (Canadian)
- 2000: Wide Open by Nicola Barker (English)
- 1999: Ingenious Pain by Andrew Miller (English)
- 1998: The Land of Green Plums by Herta Müller (Romanian)
- 1997: A Heart So White by Javier Marías (Spanish)
- 1996: Remembering Babylon by David Malouf (Australian)
- Go, Went, Gone by Jenny Erpenbeck – READ! NOT ON SHORTLIST !!!