- My heart broke when I heard that Louis
- …the koala who was saved
- by a very brave woman….had died.
- This #AUSReadingMonth 2019 will be overshadowed by
- some of the worst bushfires in Australian history.
- Help the climate…..#ShutDownAdani coal mine!
- Many thanks to Brona for hosting…
- Link #AUSReadigMonth wrap-up @Bronasbooks
- I enjoyed all my books.
- Happy that I completed the BINGO CARD!
- A Kindness Cup –Thea Astley
- The River in the Sky – Clive James (epic poem) RIP 1939-2019
- The Endsister – Penni Russon
- Sea People – C. Thompson – NSW 2019 History Award
- Boys Will Be Boys – Clementine Ford
- Dr Space Junk vs Universe: Archaeology the Future – A. Gorman
- The Phoenix Years – Madeleine O’Dea
- An Unconventional Wife – Mary Hoban
- Adani: Following Its Dirty Footsteps – L. Simpson
- It’s Raining in Mango – Thea Astley
- Troll Hunting – Ginger Gorman
- The Thinking Woman – Julienne van Loon
- Broken – M. A. Butler Victorian Literary Award 2016 (drama and literature)
- TILT – Kate Lilley Victorian Literary Award Poetry 2019
- Tide of Stone – K. Warren 2018 Aurealis Award Best Horror Novel
- NT – Broken – Mary Anne Butler (play)
- TAS – The Endsister – Penni Russon
- SA – Boys Will Be Boys – Clementine Ford
- VIC – Tide of Stone – Kaaron Warren
- FREE – The River in the Sky – Clive James
- WA – The Thinking Woman – Julienne van Loon
- QLD – The Kindness Cup – Thea Astley
- NSW – The Phoenix Years – Madeleine O’ Dea
- ACT – Troll Hunting – Ginger Gorman
- Author: Dr. Fiona Hill
- Title: Mr Putin: Operative in the Kremlin (2012)
- Published: 2015 (expanded version, paperback edition)
- Genre: non-fiction
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly plan
- I am watching the Impeachment Hearings
- …on television this week. (21-25 November)
- The officials who testified were nearly all career diplomats and
- nonpartisan experts, professionals.
- They decided, at genuine risk, to fulfill their
- legal and moral obligation” to appear before Congress.
- I was so impressed by Dr. Fiona Hill.
- …for her smarts, directness, and her steely self-confidence
- She said she felt a “duty” to testify.
- She is an example to many potential witnesses who
- …will not testify…to finally “woman-up”.
- Dr. Fiona Hill was NOT someone the Republicans wanted to hear from.
- I KNEW after her testimony…I had to read her book!
Why is Putin the world’s new strong guy
…and why should you know more about him?
Read this impressive book for beginners
Russia has an
— economy the size of Spain
— corruption on a par with Papua New Guinea
— life expectancy below Libya
But Putin is still the puppet master and is pulling the strings!
— well-armed, largely professional fighting force
— is politically more astute than the West
— sticks by his allies.
— plays to his strengths
— does not buckle under pressure…he adapts.
— does not create a vacuum that can be filled by a rival power
Studies the six identities of Putin
looking at the details,
their central elements, evolution
and roots in Russian history and culture.
First three identities are goal oriented
Statist, History Man, Survivalist.
The last three identities are more personal:
Outsider, Free-Marketeer, Case Officer.
Putin used certain means to achieve his ends
his childhood, working class, KGB training
spycraft in East Germany and
…local government in St. Petersburg.
Trace the evolution of Putin’s thinking
Russia vs outside world.
Show how Putin translated this thinking
into action as Operative Abroad.
- Author: Lindsay Simpson
- Title: Adani: Following Its Dirty Footsteps
- Published: 2018
- Genre: non-fiction
- Trivia: 2019 People’s Choice QLD Book of the Year
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly plan
- #AWW2019 @AusWomenWriter
- #AUSReadingMonth 2019 @ BronasBooks
Introduction: Why is the Adani mine controversial?
- Highlights the political divide in Australia to mitigate climate change.
- Adani paid 500 million dollars for the Carmichael Coal tenement in 2010.
- It wants to export coal for electricity to Asia and home market India.
- The mine is not open yet!
- The project is an issue for an environmental movement
- ….trying to stop new thermal coal mines.
What does Ms Lindsy Simpson hope to prove with her book?
- Ms Simpson wants to cast further scrutiny on
- …Australia ‘s environmental reputation on the world stage.
Ch 1 – The Courting of a Mining Magnate
- 2017 Turnbull government (2015-2018) is well aware
- …of the catastrophic carbon footprint that Adani will create in Australia.
- With help of Murdoch Press a spin of doubt was created
- …to embolden the choir of people refusing to believe in the effects of climate change.
- TURNBULL WAS HEAD CHOIR BOY!
Ch 2 – The Dirty Truth
- 83% of mines in Australia is foreign owned
- …so claiming that the mining industry is of national interest is a myth.
- Core message of this book create new headlines to
- awaken the public to the environmental catastrophes
- It must show the public that the culprits of these disasters
- ….can just walk away unpunished!
Ch 3 – The Custodians of the Great Barrier Reef –
- Describes author’s strong personal connection to
- Great Barrie Reef and the main threats for this World Heritage Site:
- 3 LNG (liquid natural gas) plants on Curtis Island,
- leakage of dredge spoil from Port of Gladstone,
- expansion Abbot Point coal terminal and
- increased shipping into the reef: estimate 2032 10.000 ships per year.
Ch 4 – The Midas Touch – At What Cost? – info relationship Adani and PM India Modi
Ch 5 – Confronting the God Adani – trip to India to confront Adani with petition
Ch 6 – The Coal King of the World
- Backround info about Adani Group
- Note: Autthor asks how can Australian politicians
- be so gulible to actively court this environmental polluter?
Ch 7 – Digging up the Dirt on Adani – threats to Australian groundwater (Adani)
Ch 8 – The Swirling Dervish – author’s experience in cyclone Debbie
Ch 9 – The Ping Pong Politics of Climate Change – visit to Federal Parliament March 2016
Ch 10 – An About Face –
- Ms A. Palaszczuk an Australian politician and 39th Premier of Queensland
- …and passionate defender of the Adani coal mine
- …suddenly veto’s 1 billion Adani loan
- …so Adani receives NO tax-payers’ funds to build railway.
- What happened?
Ch 11 – The Carbon Bomb is Ticking – (longest chapter)
- Adani continued to employ tactics of divide and conquer
- ,,,,indigenous Wangan and Jagalingou people.
- As of September 2019 the Queensland Government has
- …wiped clean the Native Title on W&J country
- …for the controversial Adani Carmichael coal mine.
- The QLD Government and Adani had worked
- …hand in hand and sealed the deal in secret.
- This is an eye-opener for me as I have NEVER
- heard of the controversy about the Adani Coal Mine in QLD, Australia.
- Lindsay Simpson reveals the workings of the Adani group
- who work (together with PM Modi of India) in
- …an apparently innocuous way guaranteeing jobs (mining)
- and cheap energies from imported coal for Asia.
- But their operations have nevertheless deadly effects
- on climate change.
- Why we are still using a 19th century fuel in the 21st century?