#Paris In July Henri Matisse
- Author: S. Blum
- Title: Henri Matisse: Rooms with a view
- Published: 2010
- Matisse studied and rearranged his rooms constantly.
- When he lived in hotels and small apartments his living quarters
- usually doubled as his studio.
- In a continuous engagement with these spaces he produced
- not only singular masterpieces but also developed a
- theme as rich as the traditional landscape or portrait.
- In each new phase of his art and with every change of residence.
- Matisse reinvented the theme of the window.
- This books weighs 3,5 pounds…a real ‘coffee table book’.
- But it is so worth your effort to carry it home from the library!
- 5 chapters with so many beautiful images and illuminating
- information about Matisse’s paintings
- Shirley Neilsen Blum (1932) is an
- American art historian, professor and author.
- She taught me that Matisse loved goldfish in bowls,
- that there is so much beauty in a window with curtains and awnings….
- and showed me Matisse’s magnificent design (pg 172-179)
- of a Catholic chapel in Vence France.
- I’ve been to the Vatican in Rome, to St. Patrick’s in NYC,
- ….visited the Notre Dame in Paris….but I would love to
- visit the South of France and bask in the artistic wonder
- that is “The Chapel of the Rosary” (see Google) by Henri Matisse!