#Classic: Moby Dick
- Author: H. Melville
- Title: Moby Dick
- Published: 1851
- Trivia: PLOT Wikipedia
- Chunkster: 450 pg or more
- CC Spin #19 @The Classics Club – FINISHED !
- List of Challenges
- Monthly plan
- Classic Club Master list
Quickscan: Mixture of plots:
1. Overcoming the Monster: (the White Whale)
3. Quest: (Destroy the White Whale)
4. Voyage and Return: (whaling trip on the Pequod)
5. Comedy: (Stubb dialogue)
6. Tragedy: (Dead of Queeseg)
7. Rebirth: Ishmael (character survives after so many perils)
9. Rebellion against the one: (Starbuck thinks of killing Ahab to save ship/crew)
Characters: my favorites….
- The narrator in the book, not only relaying the story
- …but going on at length about whale facts and
- various philosophical questions.
- He demonstrates that despite one’s appearance
- …people have more in common than they believe.
- Queequg also brings life through death. (coffin is float for survival)
- Ego non baptizo te in nomine patris, sed in nomine diaboli!
- Ahab howls these words as harpoon iron is devoured the baptismal blood.
- ”I baptize thee, not in the name of the Father, but in the name of the Devil.”
- Captain Ahab is speaking to his harpoon as it tastes whale blood for the first time.
- The quote is significant because Herman Melville wrote to his
- …friend Nathaniel Hawthorne that
- ..the line was the book’s secret motto.
- On the most basic level, the White Whale in the novel
- is the object of Ahab’s obsession.
- Everything in the plot of Moby-Dick is directed
- …toward the final, tragic confrontation between
- …Ahab, his crew, and the White Whale.
- The White Whale wins the fight.
- Ahab and nearly the entire crew of the Pequod die.
- The fact that the White Whale cannot be beaten
- ….contributes to the way it is used as a symbol.
- Power of Moby Dick is symbolic of God.
- Symbol of a force man cannot defeat.
- Pursuit of God: Ahab purses God in a manner driven by hate
- …vengeance rather than something peaceful.
- Ch 1-54 is worth the read….but then I hit a wall!
- Ch 55-100….it was a ‘touch and go’ endeavor to keep reading!
- The last 30 chapters finally capture my attention again.
- This book would be much improved
- …without the whaling tutorial and scrimshaw! (ch 56)
- Sometimes tiresome and challenging
- is a compliment about a classic book.
- It’s like climbing a mountain….hard work
- …but the view is terrific when you get to the top!
- Now…the view from the top
- …wasn’t worth the hike.
November 29, 2018
Learning some basic concepts that play an important role in Moby Dick
Melville creates well rounded characters
The first paragraph describes my start
December 2, 2018
Slowly moving forward:
December 6, 2018
Starting ch 28 ….now we finally meet Ahab!
30 pages a day…
December 11, 2018
Ch 70: I pushed through ch 54-70 which is more or less
Ch 1-54 is a good narrative….I expect once we get back to the conflict
Ch 94: More whaling…stay away from whale spuits,
The only chapter with some narrative was
January 9, 2019
Finshed during the Christmas holidays.