YA: Jenna’s Truth
- Author: N.L. King
- Title: Jenna’s Truth
- Published: 2016
- List Reading Challenges 2018
- Monthly reading planning
- Ms King expresses the emotions of a young girl
- that feel universal…timeless. We all at one point
- have felt being an outsider in school….it hurts.
- The devil is in the details.…and Ms King knows that!
- I rarely read in stories about women’s perfume.
- People I remember from school had signature fragrances.
- It was your ‘calling card’… L’Air du Temps, Blue Grass, Miss Dior.
- Jenna can finally sit next to Tina
- ….the in-crowd… and whiff her perfume.
- Ms. Nadia has translated a tragic story of Amanda Todd
- into a poignant book.
- The book is enriched with teaching notes and
- discussion questions.
- Sometimes young people don’t know how
- tell people they are being bullied.
- Ms. King has added a ‘need help’ page with
- addresses and phone numbers children can call.
- Here I am a 60+’er reading about the
- pain of being an outsider (Jenna) in high-school.
- Ms King describes details that STILL resonate
- …taking me back to the 1960’s.
- It seems then and now
- ….the feeling when someone saves
- you a seat in class is “like basking in the sun” !
- And yes, I agree with Ms King and her character Jenna
- “Physics never made any sense.“
- Of course Insta page, selfies and Snapchat are new
- …but that just adds to the 21st C feel of the book.
- This book deserves the praise it has reaped.
- Young girls should be aware…
- There is so much more to life
- …being snubbed or bad-mouthed,
- and worst of all cyber-bullying by puerile girls.
- I’ll tell you a two secrets….
- I had this book flown in from Australia!
- I read the book aloud to my cats.
- It was great fun and I could put on my snarky voice.
- But this does not dampen
- …the effect the book had on me.
- So young, so unhappy with life
- ….so tragic, I can hardly imagine
- …the pain Jenna/Amanda Todd went through.
- #Cyberbulling must stop.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.