Art Deco Tuschinski Theatre in Amsterdam, 1918-20. Arch. Jaap Gidding.
- I’ve neglected my list of movies….
- …now I will try to watch as many as I can this month.
- The BAFTA Awards (British Oscars) will be my first target.
- Any film nominated or declared a winner that is
- …available on streaming I will try to watch.
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- WWI visual effects are shocking
- …..at one point I gasped…so realistic.
- But don’t forget this is what war looks like.
- You don’t see this side of the story on the evening news.
- Film NOT for the fainthearted….but try to see it anyway!!
- Felix Kammerer acting is award-winning to say the least.
- Movie was nominated for GoldenGlobes 2023 Best Foreign film.
- I think the GG committee probably didn’t dare give the prize to this
- …unforgettable film. It is indelibly impressed in my memory.
- Will it get an Oscar nod?….YES…9 nominations!
- 14 BAFTA nominations!! (19 Feb 2023 award show)
- Argentina 1985 – worth watching just to remind yourself what a fascist government can do!
- This is the winner of GoldenGlobes 2023 best foreign film.
- I don’t agree with this choice.
- It was Interesting but I expected more from this film…it lacked a certain “theatre”.
- The heart of the movie is the historic trial of the Argentine military junta
- …based on 709 cases of abuse.
- There is NO courtroom strutting by lawyers, not even a raised voice
- …just a series of witnesses giving statements.
- I missed acting like I have seen in other trial movies:
- Lieutenant Daniel Kaffee – A Few Good Men (Tom Cruise)
- Atticus Finch – To Kill a Mockingbird (Gregory Peck)
- No, not my choice for best foreign-film.
- Everything, Everywhere All at Once.
- I kept checking the time to see how much was left…not a good sign.
- Confusing plot, lots of shouting and cyberspace jumping!
- Michelle Yeoh is winner of GoldenGlobes 2023 Best Actress.
- 11 Oscar nominations….I don’t believe it. #Hype
- …I preferred Ms Yeoh in another movie:
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Oscar 2001 Best Foreign Film)
- ……now that was a great movie!
- “Everything….etc”…did not impress me at all.
- Try of find Croughing Tiger at your local library of buy the DVD.
- You won’t regret it.
- Indian Bollywood film with over the top” action
- …and breathtaking cinematography.
- Nominated Best Foreign Film #GoldenGlobes 2023.
- Personally…this is my first and last Bollywood film
- …but I must admit, I did learn some new dance moves!
- I am desperately on need of a palate cleanser after RRR!
- Nominated for Best Original Screenplay…
- The Menu with Ralph Fiennes.
- A young couple travels to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant
- …where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises
- …it’s all part of the menu.
- I’m absolutely speechless.
2 Comments Post a comment
Hi!! It’s me! Jumping over from Twitter! I see your point about Argentina 1985 but I must say I loved that movie. But then RRR was one of my favorite movies of all time, so we definitely have different tastes in what we like to see in a movie. Ha ha.
I don’t see the one I just now watched on your list so I wonder if you have seen the documentary Navalny on HBO Max. I have to admit I knew NOTHING about this guy or if he was still alive so I was on the edge of my seat with my jaw on the ground the whole time. Someone who is familiar with him might not have enjoyed the doc as much. Dunno!
Many thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’ll watch it tomorrow! I just saw a before/after foto of Navalney on Twitter…shocked how much weight he has lost…Putin is killing him slowly in jail. RRR…OMG…it was just too many fights, slo-mo motorcycle jumps, animals ( tigers, luckily all created digitally) and men who insist doing their fitness routines on the big screen! Indeed, ha, ha! BTW, read 3 new memoirs ‘Halfway Home’ and ‘A Knock at Midnight’ and ‘Punch Me Up to the Gods….perhaps one of these books would be interesting for your Memoir Challenge.