#AusReadingMonth 2021 Cookbook nr 2
- Author: Bill Granger (1969)
- Title: Australian Food
- Published: 2020
- Monthly plan
- #AusReadingMonth2021 @bronasbooks
- Bill Granger is very famous in Australia.
- Granger was born to a vegetarian mother and a
- father who worked as a butcher.
- He lives with his wife Natalie Elliott and their three daughters.
- Strong point: the dedication in the book is just so beautiful:
- “For Natalie”
- Her name might not be above the door,
- but the door would never open without her.”
- There are 5 photo’s of Bill in the book
- …how approachable he looks and
- …how handsome padding across the beach in his bare feet.
- Bill’s crinkly smile is infectious…he makes me believe I can really cook!
- I was surprised he is photographed with a coffee and newspaper
- instead of a huge glass of wine in the kitchen…like me.
- Sydney-style avo toast, was popularized by
- Australian chef-restaurateur Bill Granger,
- whose early 90s version…toast, mashed avocado, lime, salt, chilli flakes
- …has since taken over the world.
- Weak point: font used in the index is too small…or my eyes are too old
- Strong point: I made 1 recipe from each section except BBQ.
- I was introduced to at least 8 ingredients I never used before.
- This was because Bill Granger makes many Asian influenced dishes…all new to me!
- This aspect of the book makes it so exciting to cook with Bill Granger.
- Leave it to Bill to come up with
- …the answer to my “Christmas Party” prayers!
- I’m hosting a 4 course Christmas dinner for friends.
- I love wine with my food….but don’t want to send the guests home
- and have them washing the wine and champagne out of their hair the next day
- …along with a hangover.
- So..Bill gave me the Negroni Spritz on page 174 (Australian Food).
- I’ve modified it to replace:
- 100 ml wine –> cold water
- 30 ml vermouth –> juice of one lemon
- ice cubes, curl of lemon peel and 40 ml Campari
- …small squeeze honey if you like a bit of sweetness!
- Absolutely a visual refreshing delight in a wine glass!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.