#AusReadingMonth 2021 Christopher Koch
- Author: Christopher Koch (1932-2013)
- Title: The Year of Living Dangerously
- Published: 1978 (224 pg)
- Trivia: This book helped Australia to shift its cultural focus from
- Britain and Ireland toward its increasing engagement with Asia
- ….and continuing into 21st C (nuclear powered submarines from USA)
- Trivia: The banned film (1982) version directed by Australian Peter Weir
- was shown for the first time in 2000 at Jakarta Film Festival.
- Monthly planning
- #AusReadingMonth2021 @bronasbooks
- C. J. Koch’s The Year of Living Dangerously takes its title
- from Sukarno’s term for 1965, the year in which the novel takes place.
- R. J. Cook, first-person narrator, recounts the events that occurred
- during that tumultuous, chaotic year.
- In 1965 Sukarno was overthrown (see book published 2020: The Jakarta Method)
- and Suharto, a right-wing officer, assumed control of the Indonesian government.
- Sukarno’s fate, however, is linked to the fates of the characters:
- Guy Hamilton – a correspondent for an Australian news network
- Trivia: loosely based on Mr. Koch’s younger brother, Philip.
- Billy Kwan – an Australian-Chinese dwarf who is a highly intelligent cameraman
- Jill Bryant – the woman both men love.
- This was an amazing book…just stunning!
- I saw the movie version in 1980s and didn’t understand any of
- the politics in Indonesia and USA’s use of…
- The Jakarta Method.
- Now I do..and it isn’t a pretty picture for America’s foreign policy.
- Has anything changed?? (Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan….and now Taiwan?)
- Chris Koch is an excellent writer/journalist and several intrigues
- were weaved seamlessly into the story.
- I could not stop reading…..
- Billy Kwan is the “spider in the web”
- …the Wayang shadow play puppet master!
- The ending of the book was genius.
- Please, don’t miss this #classic
- It is probably waiting for you on the library shelf
- …better yet, buy it and support your local bookstore.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.