#Non-fiction The Influence of Soros
- Author: Emily Tamkin
- Title: The Influence of George Soros
- Genre: Non-fiction
- Published: 2020
- List of Challenges 2020
- Monthly reading plan
Who is George Soros?
- Soros has been a punching bag for authoritarians,
- anti-Semites and conspiracy theorists around the world since 1992,
- when he became famous as
- “The Man Who Broke the Bank of England” by making more
- than US$1 billion by “shorting” the British pound.
- Born in Budapest in 1930, Soros barely survived the destruction
- of European Jewry by the Nazis. Living in
- New York City since 1956, he has combined a long career
- as a successful capitalist while doing philanthropy
- under the banner of his Open Society Foundations.
- Birth of a Myth
- The book begins with a quickscan Hungray WW I – WWII
- and the impact on Soros and his family.
- Soros has been a frequent target of anti-Semetic and right-wing groups.
- In 1945, Soros survived the Siege of Budapest.
- In 1947, Soros moved to England and
- became a student at the London School of Economics.
- The war and the way George Soros survived it was a formative experience.
- Living as a victim changed Soros’s sense of empathy.
- George Soros opens a foundation in Hungary,
- which would eventually lead to the establishment
- …of the Open Society Foundations network.
- Breaking the Banks
- Soros is known as “The Man Who Broke the Bank of England”
- because of his short sale of US$10 billion worth of pounds sterling
- …which made him a profit of $1 billion in 1992.
- This action made George Soros a ‘player’ on the financial world stage.
- Black Wednesday UK currency crisis
- The Humanitarian Exception
- Soros’s humanitarian work duringThe Bosnian War.
- This was an international armed conflict that took place in
- Bosnia and Herzegovina between 1992 and 1995.
- Rocking the Vote
- The prime minister of Slovakia and aspiring authoritarian
- Vladimír Mečiar was later ousted by a mass voter mobilization
- in 1998, those involved in the efforts described to
- me how state-backed media implied that Soros was behind it.
- Soros’ work with his foundation
- ….Open Society Institute-Baltimore focuses on the root causes
- of three intertwined problems in our city and state:
- drug addiction, an over-reliance on incarceration, and
- obstacles that impede youth in succeeding inside and out of the classroom.
The Elections of 2004 G.W. Bush vs John Kerry
- George Soros has launched a nationwide speaking tour and
- advertising blitz in an attempt to deliver the Bush defeat.
- Mr Soros, America’s 24th richest person, is expected to spend up to $3m.
- Soros: “If I could contribute to repudiating the Bush policies
- I think it would be the greatest good deed I could do for the world,”
- Soros railed at the president’s claim that “either you are with us,
- …or you are with the terrorists.
- Soros said Bush was “undermining the civilized discourse
- that is the foundation of our democracy”.
- United We Fall
- Absolutely fascinating….just read this!
- Closed Society
- Now I understand the world and why some leaders
- …want greater national purity Viktor Orban (Hungary)
- Bibi Netanyahu (Israel), Donald Trump (USA).
- Each side uses the other as a smoke screen
- to cover up ugly realities of immigration.
- All these men attack Soros. Why?
- Soros reflects back onto a country what it most hates.
- TRIVIA: dd. 01.10.2020
- The Trump administration has
- …steadily slashed the number of refugees admitted into the
- United States over the last few years.
- 2017 – capping the number of refugees at 45,000
- 2018 – reduced that number to 30,000
- 2019 – further cutting it to 18,000
- 2020 -Trump proposes capping refugee admissions at 15,000 in historic low
- Obama: in his final year in office capped the
- …number of refugees admitted to the U.S. to 116,000
NOTE: August 2020 Soros is all in for Joe Biden
- Soros has been open about his disdain for Trump in the past,
- calling him a “dictator”, a slander he has directed at
- other leaders he disagrees with,
- including Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán.
- If anyone takes a closer look at where all the
- Democratic money is flowing from, they will see
- that Soros is funding a huge part of the whole operation.
- I just read about Bryan Stevenson’s nonprofit, Equal Justice Initiative
- in his book Just Mercy!
- The New York Times published an interview with
- Open Society Foundation announced that it intends to
- “double down” on funding black-led justice organizations.
- Black Voters Matter
- Circle for Justice Innovations
- Repairers of the Breach and the
- Equal Justice Initiative
- Last thoughts:
- George Soros the financial genius, then the ambitious philanthropist and finally
- Gerge Soros the world’s bogey man.
- If you search Washington Post or The New York Times
- …you will see George Soros is everywhere.
- ….behind the scenes donating major $$
- …to promote open and democratic societies.
- The Guardian dd. January 2020:
- Soros gives $1bn to fund universities and stop drift towards authoritarianism
- It is about time to stop and learn more about
- this amazing and generous billionaire!
- I read it as an AUDIO book (7 hrs 57 min)
- …and it was just the best way to absorb all the facts.
- While I listen..I often look up facts, names, places etc on Wikipedia.