#ReadIreland 2020 Station Island (67 poems)
- Author: Seamus Heaney
- Title: Station Island
- Published: 1984
- Dedicated to: Irish playwright Brian Friel
- List of Challenges 2020
- Monthly plan
- Station Island is an intensebook of 67 poems
- …each one worth you reading time.
- The poems left me breathless.
- It took me 2 days to read 123 pages!!
- Reading Seamus Heaney’s poetry is only
- known by experience…rather than reason.
- Favorite poem: Station Island nr XII
- Seamus meets his last guide on the pilgrimage
- …James. Joyce.
- Joyce’s advice is timeless
- …not only meant for Heaney…but for us all:
- “Let go, let fly. forget.
You’ve listened long enough.
Now strike your note.”
- Joyce urges the complete opposite of the
- collective Catholic pilgrimage (Station Island)
- …but favors individualism!
- In other words
- ….shed your Catholic orthodoxy and reveal a new self.
- ….Seamus Heaney!