#ReadIreland 2020 Tom Murphy
- Author: Tom Murphy (1935-2018)
- Title:The Wake
- Genre: play
- Published: 1998
- T. Murphy died on 15 May 2018 (obituary)
- Reading time: 2 hours
- List of Challenges 2020
- Monthly plan
- The Wake is set in the 1990s.
- Vera is a lonely, exiled prostitute
- returning from New York to her native
- …town to mourn her grandmother.
- But she has also inherited a family hotel
- …which her siblings covet.
- When Vera learns the true
- …circumstances of grandmother’s death.
- she decides on an unusual course of action.
- Now, after reading this introduction I wanted to
- find out what did Vera really do with her hotel?
- That was my only smart move.
- The play was a slapdash of arguments,
- singing, swearing and a grande mélange à trois
- …to shock her family and the reader.
- The play was a mess on paper.
- I can’t imagine having to sit it out in a theatre.
- At least I could read it with a toothless comb.
- No, Tom Murphy can do better.
- Here are two of his plays worth reading!
- Alice Trilogy and Famine.
- The kindest thing I can say about this play is
- enjoy the journey, but realize
- you’re going to roll your eyes
- in disbelief a lot on the way.