#ReadIreland 2020 Oscar Wilde
- Author: Oscar Wilde
- Title: Woman of No Importance
- Premièred : 19 April 1893
- Genre: “skeleton-in-the-closet” play
- Reading time: 2 hours
- List of Challenges 2020
- Monthly plan
- Woman of No Importance satirizes upper-class English society
- at the end of the 19th C.
- It takes place, for the most part, in the homes of
- the rich and powerful, where Lord, Ladies,
- and Archdeacons socialize and gossip about their contemporaries.
- In this play the gossip is about Mrs. Arbuthnot
- …a woman of no importance.
- How many of us have this play in the bookcase
- …in The Complete Works of Oscar Wide?
- I have overlooked Wilde’s plays
- ….and I am the lesser for it.
- There’s a difference between the play as cultural work of art
- …and the play as entertainment,
- …in the same way that there’s a
- difference between a classical symphony and a musical.
- No, this play does not have the
- …gravitas of Death of a Salesman (A. Miller)
- …but is does have the emotion of the heart of a man (Oscar Wilde)
- …who has known joy….but also great suffering.
- The play touched a heart-string.
- #Bravo…Oscar Wilde
2 Comments Post a comment
Thanks Nancy, you can’t beat some Wilde!