#AWW 2019 True Stories
- Author: Helen Garner
- Title: True Stories
- Published: 1996
- Genre: essays
- Rating: A+++++
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly plan
- #AWW2019 @AusWomenWriter
- Yet again, another Helen Garner book
- …that I did NOT want to end!
- She is a magnificent wirter and I am
- glued to the page with the vivid details she provides.
- I kept this book under my pillow (IPod audio book)
- to transport me to the ‘reading room’ between
- being awake ….and asleep.
- Some stories I had to listen to twice
- …fell asleep before the ending.
- Who does not wake up at 3 am sometimes for no reason?
- This audio book was the perfect ‘sleeping pill’.
- Helen Garner’s voice is soothing and you drift off quickly.
- Selections about her sisters
- Cruising on Russian ocean liner
- Five train trips in the region of Melbourne
- Stories about authors, Patrick White and Elizabeth Jolley
- The Insults of Age
- Labour Maternity Ward, Penrith
- These are only a few that really impressed me.
- One story I started but could not finish:
- Killing Daneil.
- Garner is known for her true crime books
- …and this story was just too distressing (child abuse)
- So, you are warned….you can just skip it…as I did.
- Helen Garner delves deeply into a crime
- so vivdly it is impossible to read….and I imagine
- just as hard to put on paper.
- It is an extraordinary way of writing.
- She has to take care that
- ..she is not “drawn into the darkness”
- …of the subject she is writing about.
- Her books, for example This House of Grief
- have taken an emotional an
- physical toll on Helen Garner.
- A book to read leisurely….
- that stays with you for a lifetime.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.