#AUSReadingMonth People’s Choice QLD 2019
- Author: Lindsay Simpson
- Title: Adani: Following Its Dirty Footsteps
- Published: 2018
- Genre: non-fiction
- Trivia: 2019 People’s Choice QLD Book of the Year
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly plan
- #AWW2019 @AusWomenWriter
- #AUSReadingMonth 2019 @ BronasBooks
Introduction: Why is the Adani mine controversial?
- Highlights the political divide in Australia to mitigate climate change.
- Adani paid 500 million dollars for the Carmichael Coal tenement in 2010.
- It wants to export coal for electricity to Asia and home market India.
- The mine is not open yet!
- The project is an issue for an environmental movement
- ….trying to stop new thermal coal mines.
What does Ms Lindsy Simpson hope to prove with her book?
- Ms Simpson wants to cast further scrutiny on
- …Australia ‘s environmental reputation on the world stage.
Ch 1 – The Courting of a Mining Magnate
- 2017 Turnbull government (2015-2018) is well aware
- …of the catastrophic carbon footprint that Adani will create in Australia.
- With help of Murdoch Press a spin of doubt was created
- …to embolden the choir of people refusing to believe in the effects of climate change.
- TURNBULL WAS HEAD CHOIR BOY!
Ch 2 – The Dirty Truth
- 83% of mines in Australia is foreign owned
- …so claiming that the mining industry is of national interest is a myth.
- Core message of this book create new headlines to
- awaken the public to the environmental catastrophes
- It must show the public that the culprits of these disasters
- ….can just walk away unpunished!
Ch 3 – The Custodians of the Great Barrier Reef –
- Describes author’s strong personal connection to
- Great Barrie Reef and the main threats for this World Heritage Site:
- 3 LNG (liquid natural gas) plants on Curtis Island,
- leakage of dredge spoil from Port of Gladstone,
- expansion Abbot Point coal terminal and
- increased shipping into the reef: estimate 2032 10.000 ships per year.
Ch 4 – The Midas Touch – At What Cost? – info relationship Adani and PM India Modi
Ch 5 – Confronting the God Adani – trip to India to confront Adani with petition
Ch 6 – The Coal King of the World
- Backround info about Adani Group
- Note: Autthor asks how can Australian politicians
- be so gulible to actively court this environmental polluter?
Ch 7 – Digging up the Dirt on Adani – threats to Australian groundwater (Adani)
Ch 8 – The Swirling Dervish – author’s experience in cyclone Debbie
Ch 9 – The Ping Pong Politics of Climate Change – visit to Federal Parliament March 2016
Ch 10 – An About Face –
- Ms A. Palaszczuk an Australian politician and 39th Premier of Queensland
- …and passionate defender of the Adani coal mine
- …suddenly veto’s 1 billion Adani loan
- …so Adani receives NO tax-payers’ funds to build railway.
- What happened?
Ch 11 – The Carbon Bomb is Ticking – (longest chapter)
- Adani continued to employ tactics of divide and conquer
- ,,,,indigenous Wangan and Jagalingou people.
- As of September 2019 the Queensland Government has
- …wiped clean the Native Title on W&J country
- …for the controversial Adani Carmichael coal mine.
- The QLD Government and Adani had worked
- …hand in hand and sealed the deal in secret.
- This is an eye-opener for me as I have NEVER
- heard of the controversy about the Adani Coal Mine in QLD, Australia.
- Lindsay Simpson reveals the workings of the Adani group
- who work (together with PM Modi of India) in
- …an apparently innocuous way guaranteeing jobs (mining)
- and cheap energies from imported coal for Asia.
- But their operations have nevertheless deadly effects
- on climate change.
- Why we are still using a 19th century fuel in the 21st century?