#AUSReadingMonth Dr. Space Junk vs The Universe
- Author: Alice Gorman
- Title: Dr. Space Junk vs The Universe: Archaeology in the Future
- Published: 2019
- Genre: non-fiction
- Trivia: shortlist for the 2019 Mark and Evette Moran Literary Award
- Trivia: shortlist for the 2019 Queensland Literary Awards
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly plan
- #AWW2019 @AusWomenWriters
- #AUSReadingMonth @BronasBooks
- The 52-year-old space archaeologist at
- …Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia,
- is living her childhood dream.
- She is weighing up spacecraft,
- landing sites and debris flying around Earth and
- deciding if a relic should be preserved or
- …simply remain junk based on its cultural and heritage value.
- Ms Gorman wants to take a physical journey through the solar system and
- ….a conceptual journey into human interactions with space.
- This is not a book to read in bed
- …the first 2 chapters…I kept falling asleep.
- Not the most interesting subjects…
- Project Moonwatch…citizens watching for satellites with binoculars/telescopes
- Ham radio amateurs ….citizens listening to space-age sounds in sheds and backyards
- Attempted space probes by Soviet Union (1961-1984) to reach Venus…Venera landers
- Musk’s red sports car jettisoned into space…..not interested
- Food to commemorate space ….the intangible heritage of the Space Age? …not interested
- Culinary legacy of the Cold War: Sputnik cocktail,
- …olive with toothpicks = Sputnik…not interested.
- TV and space: My Favorite Martian, I Dream of Jeannie...not interested
- Companies who will launch you ashes inside a spacecraft into low orbit....not interested
- …and the book goes on, and on, and on like this ad nauseam
- Book was like a dog’s breakfast….a failed culinary effort.
- It felt confused, slapdash, unfocused, rambling and prolific repetition.
- I started the book with high hopes
- …but with each chapter I struggled to
- get through the next few pages.
- All that was left was to skim and look away.
- Dr Space Junk vs The Universe?
- It was a junk heap of words.
- …….a dull book which even drink can’t enliven much.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.