#Non-Fiction America’s War
- Author: Andrew Bacevich
- Title: America’s War for the Greater Middle East: A Military History (480 pg)
- Published: 2016
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly plan
- #TBR 2019 challenge update
- #TBR 2018 challenge update
Structure: 480 pages
Part 1 – The Preliminaries ch 1-7
Part 2 – Entr’acte (“between the acts”) ch 8 – 11
Part 3 – Main Card ch 12-18
USA fights wars:
…1776 for independence
…1861 for slavery
…1980 US embarks upon a war for oil
- For America’s War for the Greater Middle East
- US’s tendency to focus on solving one problem,
- to exacerbate a second and plant the seeds of a third.”
- See: Wikipedia ‘Operation Cyclone”
- I noticed in chapter 1
- sound bites used in 1980s that
- …are now used by Trump!
- US didn’t want a distressed angel (Carter)
- ….passing judgement on their failings.
- The US wanted a president who would fix things! (MAGA)
- Carter viewed himself as “an agent of the Lord’
- Trump referred to himself as ‘the chosen one’
- …while speaking
- on his role in the ongoing trade war
- between the US and China. (21 Aug 2019)
Note: Ch 6:
- Especially interesting was the conscious
- effort by the US in 1982
- ….to open a secret channel
- ….to provide Baghdad with sensitive intel,
- satellite images, PC’s hell’s and heavy trucks etc.
What was USA’s plan….long term?
- US needed Saddam…..
- ….and with this non-military help
- it enabled Iraq to avoid outright defeat in Iraq-Iran war.
- But why?
- “…US had a compelling interest in positioning Iraq as a
- counterweight to a dangerous Islamic Republic.”
Note: Ch 7:
- The book comes alive for me with the
- US to hunkering down in Saudi Arabia and
- preparing to remove Saddam from Kuwait.
- My favorite no nonsense General
- “Stormin’ Norman” Schwarzkopf jr.
- He planned and led Operation Desert Storm—
- which defeated the Iraqi Army and liberated Kuwait
- Pg 117 this would be:
- “…Vietnam done right,
- …with a decisive victory the result.
- No shilly-shallying allowed.”
- Don’t worry about memorizing all the names, dates, etc
- focus on the big picture…the important stuff will stick.
- This book is a wonderful re-cap of
- the history of the War for the Greater Middle East.
- Strong point: Bacevich makes non-fiction read like a novel!
- Great read…for history buffs!
- I was very impressed with Bacevich
- …his writing is crisp insight and info that is not in news articles.
- I enjoyed his comments about Gaddafi
- “…erratic buffoon less a serious
- …menace than a perennial pain in the behind!”
- …and I learned what ‘gunboat diplomacy is’.
- Part 3…you could probably easily skim this
- picking nuggets of info but most has
- been recently in the news (Obama, Osama Bin Laden).
- Loved to see names popping up who were in headlines
- …and now have faded away.
- Remember L. Paul Bremer, diplomat
- running the show in The Green Zone Baghdad?
- ….he earns extra cash now as a ski-instructor!
- What was the MOST important thing I learned?
- …the 4 reasons why USA is still waging the
- War for the Greater Middle East.
- War has the seal of approval of Republicans and Democrats
- Aspiring Presidential candidates find it expedient to ‘support the troops’ (war)
- Individuals/institutions benefit from a long conflict (military industrial complex)
- MOST importantly…
- …Americans appear oblivious to what is occurring.
- All the more reason
- ….to read this book!