#Poetry Leontia Flynn (Irish poet)
- Author: Leontia Flynn
- Title: The Radio
- Published: 2017
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly reading plan
- #TBR challenge update
- Finished: 17.08.2019
- Genre: poetry
- Rating: A
- 32 poems and I liked ..18 of them.
- 56 % = That is a GOOD SCORE!
- The Radio was published in 2017,
- was shortlisted for the T S Eliot Prize and
- won the Irish Times Poetry Now Prize.
- PART 1 The Child, The Family (10 poems)
- The book gets off to a good start
….but most poetry collections puts some
great poems at the beginning as a ‘hook’.
- There are some great images:
- Yellow Lullaby
…description a mother rushing to a crying child:
“…barreling not like some semi deranged trainee barista
…friendly but confused.”
- Alzheimer’s Villanelle (Flynn’s father suffered from Alzheimer’s disease)
description of the sickness…
” …imagine a train delayed, delayed, delayed
that pulls up without a passenger or driver.”
- PART 2 …And the Outside World (19 poems)
- The first two poems are stunning:
August 30th 2013 (…day of Seamus Heaney’s death)
- Field of Yellow Flowers…..for Gavin Turning 40 (….memories of a lover)
- Thenext 7 poems received ‘good’ or ‘very good’ in my notes.
- Unfortunately after that…
- the collection seemed to lose its orginal strength
- …like a bike tire soundlessly leaking air.
- PART 3 Poems Conceived as Dialogues ( 3)
- Experimental….but not I was still not impressed.
- This is a collection of poems I would re-read.
- If you see this book in your library just stuff it between
- your other book hauls
- ….and let Leontia Flynn surprise you!