#AWW 2019 Ashleigh Young
- Author: Ashleigh Young
- Title: Can You Tolerate This?
- Published: 2016
- Genre: essays
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly plan
- Trivia: Shortlist Rathbones Folio Prize 2019
- Trivia: Yale University Windham-Campbell prize 2017
- Trivia: Ockham New Zealand Book Award (NF) 2017
- Trivia: Adam Foundation Prize Creative Writing 2017
- This would not have been my choice to start an essay collection.
- Topic was not a good hook...not funny or emotional
- …just a bit strange.
- Story took me back to the carefree summer days on a beach.
- I can’t remember the last time
- …I jumped into the ocean….how sad is that?
The Te Kūiti Underground
- Absolutely enchanting…author’s memories of her father.
- “…he became in my eyes more and more eccentric,
- …and I became more narrow-minded.”
- Just a story that leaves the reader
- with a message from an eccentric French postman:
- “ …how wonderful it is if we just keep going
- …a simple stumbling block…can change
- the entire story of out lives and deaths.”
On Any Walk
- Once I start a walk…I never turn back.
- I just remember how far I’ve come
- .How much distance would be wasted
- …if I turn back?
- Once I’m home …the coffee tastes so special!
- Ashleigh Young will…
- I’m speechless….
- We are introduced tp author’s family
- …mom, dad and 2 brothers.
- Ashleigh Young is an amazing talent
- …..one of the BEST essays.
- We’ve all been there
- …on a plane with a talkative passenger next to us.
- Only this passenger….could she be and angel?
Black Dog Book
- What you possess…you loose.
- Happy family dog story….but sometimes
- Mom has to make the difficult decision
- …and call the vet.
Katherine Would Approve
- Anecdotes about the period when
- Ashleigh Young was director of
- Katherine Mansfield Birthplace House
- …in Wellington, New Zealand.
- What to do when a harmless comment stings?
Can You Tolerate This?
- After reading this essay I had to close my Kindle
- take off my glasses and close my eyes.
- …one of the BEST essays
Seas of Trees
- Eye-opener about a disturbing
- …social trend in Japan: hikikomori.
- Creative young people becoming modern-day hermits.
- If you are determined to find a way back to strength
- nothing is unfix-able.
- This is a very, very personal essay about Ashleigh’s
- Struggle to accept the awkwardness of her body.
- She keeps waiting on the gym bench, elbows on her knees
- head in her hand
- .…waiting for transformation.
- #Yoga #Running
- ….one of the BEST essays.
- The author visits a Maori ritual
- …unveiling a headstone of a family member.
- She will write a story to
- accompany the photographs her friend is taking.
- So funny about a simple decision
- ,,,author decides to breath noisily
- …when she feels puffed
- during a taxing bike ride.
On Going Away
- Insightful look at relationships…
- Going away and then coming back together
- …this surge of
- anger and relief is toxic.
- Solution: compress it into one moment
- …like stepping into a manhole.
- A sharp, pure accident with a beginning and an end.
- Heartwrenching…to try to reach into the past
- and hold on to some one…
- …to try and stop time.
- Heartwarming observations and anecdotes
- about a woman who decides
- …to write a book about her life.
- The story is clearly referring to
- …Ashleigh Young’s mother.
- ...one of the BEST essays.
- Extremely well-written set of essays
- …in quiet, elegant joy-to-read prose.
- External circumstances
- …family, job, body shape or where you live..
- cannot determine your happiness.
- Ashleigh Young shows us
- happiness depends on what we are given.
- This a book best read ‘slowly’…
- I was not ready to say goodbye…
- ..to Ashleigh Young’s beautiful writing.
- I’m anxiously waiting for her next book!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.