#Ireland: Dermot Healy
- Author: Dermot Healy (1947-2014)
- Title: The Goat’s Song
- Published: 1994
- List of Challenges 2019
- Monthly plan
- Part 1: Alcoholic playwright
- Part 2: Sergeant (father of actress) in RUC during The Troubles in No. Ireland
- Part 3: Aspiring actress in a toxic relationship with playwright
- ..and still sleeping her way to the top in the theatre world.
- These are the basic components.
- Part 1 and Part 3 were filled with the shenanigans of
- Jack (stereotype alcoholic Irishman) and Catherine.
- These lovers will never be compatible.
- They do nothing, go nowhere and do it slowly.
- It was like watching somebody kill themselves with a butter-knife.
- Part 2 was the BEST.
- Dermot Healy should have written the entire book about
- the complex character Jonathan Adams (No. Irish policeman).
- You sensed the fear Adams experienced
- of being assassinated by the IRA.
- Strong point: the book…it is intense, part 2 is riveting.
- Weak point: the writing is not entrancing and beautiful throughout.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks