#Valentine’s Day 2019
Hellelil and Hildebrand, the Meeting on the Turret Stairs (1864)
- …is a painting in the National Gallery of Ireland
- …by Irish artist Frederic William Burton (1816-1900).
- Based on a medieval Danish ballad about the ill-starred love between
- Hellelil and her bodyguard, Hildebrand,
- …it features the lovers sharing a fleeting moment of intimacy.
- Things don’t go well for them.
- When her father discovers their attachment he orders
- ..that her seven brothers should kill Hildebrand.
- But the bodyguard turns out to be a formidable adversary.
- He has killed six of the brothers and Hellelil’s father.
- Hellelil intervenes to save the life of her surviving sibling.
- Hildebrand succumbs to his wounds and
- …she decides she cannot live without him.