#Non-fiction: The Age of Eisenhower
- Author: W.L. Hitchcock
- Title: The Age of Eisenhower
- Genre: non-fiction
- Published: 2018
- List of Challenges
- Monthly plan
Did you know?
- Eisenhower agreed to give 400 million dollar
- to France to keep them fighting in Indo-China 1956.
- Eisenhower did not trust Nixon. Ike tried to ‘push’ off the ticket election
- 1956 by dangling a cabinet post in front of ‘Tricky Dick’.
- Nixon did not take the bait.
- Eisenhower suffered from a blood clot in his heart September 1956.
- What did Nixon do? He slipped out of his house through the back door
- to avoid the press.
- Nixon was scared to death ….he might have to lead the country!
- These are some of the items that I did not know.
- This book reflected a man who remained
- a social conservative who was anxious about
- …clashes b/t federal courts and local customs (civil rights movement).
- Eisenhower was not used to change
- ….wary of challenging hierarchy.
- Yet Eisenhower did manage
- to surpass his limitations and supported
- The Civil Rights act 1957 and enforced court ordered
- …for desegragation in Little Rock Arkansas.
- which makes him a worthy president in my opinion.
- I thought America in the 1950’s would electrify me.
- Unfortunately, it was …to be the fractious 1960’s
- with Nixon, Kennedy, LBJ these were presidents that
- interested me more than “I like IKE’.
- The book was interesting and informative.
- Eisenhower made many good calls in the White House
- …an ran a fundamentally honest administration.
- Ike was and remained a #GoodSoldier.