#Irish Playwright Brian Friel
- Author: Brian Friel (1929-2015)
- Title: Philadelphia, Here I Come!
- Published: 1964
- Genre: tragicomedy
- Reading time: 1,5 hr
- Trivia: this play made Friel famous in
- …Dublin, London and New York
- List of Challenges 2018
- Monthly plan
- List of Plays
- The play describes Gareth’s last night in his home town of Ballybeg.
- He is an Irish lad about to set off for America.
- Friel recognizes an idea of home
- ….at the moment it is about to disappear.
- Gareth is played by 2 actors: Public and Private.
- Friel reveals in this way the difference between
- how we see ourselves (lonely, emotional life)
- and how we appear to others (gregarious, social).
- Other characters are:
- Gar’s surrogate mother Madge; housekeeper
- Gar’s speechless, affectionless father
- Gar’s ex-fiancée Kate
- This play grabs you by the hand not your throat.
- It is sentimental piece of writing with the
- right blend of regret….loveless youth, distant father.
- and laughter….on the threshold of escape to,
- “a vast restless place that
- …doesn’t give a damn about the past.”
- The reader must decide is this play about
- ….and exile or emigration?
- This play is really meant to be seen and not only read!
- The interchanges between the two actors ‘Public and Private’
- bring a real dynamic that captures the audiences attention.
- The maternal touches/gestures of Madge
- …the surrogate mother show her loving character.
- She stuffs snacks and a few pound notes in Gar’s luggage,
- …invites 3 mates to come and say good-bye.
- She warns Gar to be strong…because he will get homesick.
- Her exit the end of the play will pluck a heart string!