Mythos by Stephen Fry
The strongest point of this book in audio version
is the narration by Stephen Fry.
I don’t think I would have enjoyed this book as a paperback.
Voice is needed to breath life into these cheeky gods and titans.
The first half of the book was very good: rise of the titans
the birth of the gods and the establishment of Olympus.
The last 30 % of the book felt like S. Fry was overreaching by
retelling very obscure tales of lesser known
nymphs, naiads (waters) and dryads (woods).
- I wish I had this book (audio) as a young student.
- Edith Hamilton’s Mythology was on my high-school reading list.
- Stephen Fry does not skirt around the erotic and
- …violent episodes (…as Edith does)
- that form an essential part of the Greek mythic world.
- All in all this was a #GoodRead.
- ….but I would recommend the audio book above the
- print version!