#CanBookChallenge Zolitude (short stories)
- Zolitude (14 short stories)
- Paige Cooper
- Published: 2018
- Hashtag: #CanBookChallenge
- Update: 4/15 read
- Trivia: Longlist Giller Prize 2018
- List of Challenges 2018
- Monthly plan
- Every single story is a struggle
- ….this was not an entertaining book.
- What’s the point in writing if readers cannot relate to it?
- I read another review:
- “… I found two or three of them to be excellent, but I had no patience with the rest.”
- I cannot tell you how many times
- …I almost threw the book in the garbage bin!
- But no, I was determined to finish every single one of these ridiculous stories
- …and I did.
- How this book managed to reach the longlist for the Giller Prize 2018 is beyond me.
- Where is the jury report?
- Please, explain to me what the criteria were to elevate this book to a finalist place?
- What am I missing?
- I really feel for Paige Cooper...
- ….to have the strength of mind to write these stories
- is incredible but they were just to chaotic…
- …too ‘way out there’, too experimental for a simple reader as I.
- I find writing a short sentence about each story was
- the best way to review it. It was late last night when I finished the book
- ….so my comments have a whiff of exhaustion in them!
1. Zolitude – breakup for Simone…and love and longing for Ms Berzina. #Average
2. Spiderhole – Vietnam vet’s memories with a score of animals…lizards etc. #Erratic
3. Ryan & Irene, Irene & Ryan – mailbomb, 3 dream scenes add up to a confusing story. #Bizarre
4. Thanatos – could not follow this at all…please, a normal story, please! #Flummoxing
5. The Emperor – snake with red eye, rat tried to crawl back up its own body,…lost again! These stories are absolutely ridiculous. #Creepy
6. Slave Craton – 9,4 quake, tidal wave, Erin and Michael’ relationship in flashbacks. #Seismic
7. Moriah – Book-mobile; librarian Moriah, and townspeople Victor, Matthew, Tyler, Adrian, Keller…and a strange mythical eagle protecting its diamond egg. #Farfetched
8. The Tin Luck – Girls from the street in unnamed Russina town…Merope pines for ‘good ol’ days.’ Title is impossible to understand from the story. #Depressing
9. Record of Working – Arthur is project manager an the work is NOT on time, NOT on budget…and Arthur is a NO SHOW for a meeting! Paige Cooper dumps paragraphs of ‘fake tech mumbo-jumbo’ on the reader. #WORST short story I ever read. #Pointless
10. La Folie – Where is the SHORT in this story? ...it’s a #Novella!
11. Pre-Occupants – Oh, now we’re in space. #HoHum
12. Retirement – Olympic Gold medalist Turin 2006 remembers his glory days…but now in retirement….#Average
13. Roar – Deer hunting lodge, guests, helicopter, dogs. #NothingSpecial
14. Vazova on Love – Back in Russia and still incomprehensible…..thank goodness this is #TheLastStory.