French: Prix Fémina longlist Je reste ici
- Author: M. Balzano
- Title: Je reste ici
- Genre: historical fiction
- Language: French (translated from Italian)
- Published: 2017
- Trivia: Shortlisted for the Italian literary prize LXXII Premio Strega 2018
- Trivia: Longlisted for the French literary prize Prix Fémina 2018
In 1939 South Tyroleans were faced with the ‘Grand Option’ of remaining at home and becoming entirely Italianised, thereby relinquishing their German culture, or of moving into the German Reich. Initially the majority of South Tyroleans opted for emigration. This ‘Option’ went down as one of the greatest traumas in the history of the South Tyrolean people.
Society was divided, families split up and those who opted to stay behind were branded as traitors. Here begins the core of the story.
If I had to find a ‘hook’ that kept me reading was the the mother daughter bond described in chapter 1. The main character, mother Trina, reflects on her daughter’s (Marcia) childhood. Their relationship ended abruptly when the daughter was taken to Germany by her aunt 20 years ago. This hook was big enough to get me asking questions:
- Was the daughter forced to flee….or did she go willingly?
- How will the mother-daughter relationship develop…or not?
- What conflict will the main character go through?
- How does the main character change in the course of the story?
- Are mother and daughter ever reunited?
Well, you will have to read the book to see if these answers were answered!
- This book is very easy to ready in French
- ….all things chronologically presented.
- There were no surprises and
- …Balzano gives us no great depth of character.
- The historical backround is “ripe for the picking”.
- It is a period of history that I rarely read about.
- Unfortunately the book is “un’occasione sprecata” (wasted opportunity)
- …in the hands of M. Balzano.
- Although the book is poorly written
- …it is does tell a sympathetic and original story.
- It is a pity that Balzano’s writing style is not up to the level
- …with his imagination.
- In short…”tutto viene detto, pochissimo viene mostrato“
- …all is told, very little is shown!