#ThursdayTravels: Leeuwarden The Netherlands
- Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
- Cultural Capital of Europe 2018
- #ThursdayTravels hosted by @Brona ‘Exploring the world’
- My world is close to home.
- This is a photo of the park where I have a morning coffee.
- Prinsentuin (Pleasure Garden of the Princes)
- Just look at the light….it looks like Renoir painted it!
The Prinsentuin was once part of the Princessehof, (court) the former palace of Maria Louise van Hessen-Kassel, and served as her pleasure garden.
Maria Louise, married to Johan Willem Friso Nassau-Dietz and was the mother of Stadtholder Willem IV, making her the direct ancestress of the current Dutch royal family.
The Prinsentuin is one of the many traces of the Nassaus left in Leeuwarden and is nowadays the city’s beautiful, centrally located park.