Spin #18: Means of Ascent LBJ
- Author: R. Caro (1935)
- Title: Means of Ascent
- Published: 1990
- Audio book: 22 hr
- Narrator: Grover Gardner (excellent voice)
- Trivia: #ccspin nr 18
- Means of Ascent is …..a modern non-fiction classic
- Monthly planning
- List Challenges 2018
- Classic Club Master list
- Robert Caro is writing The Years of Lyndon Johnson.
- Four volumes have been published and he is working on vol 5.
- As of 2017 400 pages were typed for this last book.
- Now Caro is moving to Vietnam to continue the writing process.
- I cannot emphasize enough
- …what a monumental historical document
- …Robert Caro is giving us.
- I read volume 1 The Path to Power…it was very good.
- All of the volumes are chunksters and the only way I can
- read them is using an audio version on my IPOD.
- I listen during my walks, while doing household chores,
- riding my bike to the grocery store….and 30 min before sleeping.
- LBJ and Nancy have become very close!
- Volume 2 is a blow-by-blow account of the drama
- concerning the back-round and outcome of the
- 1948 Senate seat of Texas election.
- Caro reveals an exhaustive amount of
- …details only recently available to historians.
- There are long testimonies given in court by individuals who
- conspired with LBJ to STEAL the election!
- Needless to say.
- …the Johnsons family is not fond of Robert Caro.
- This book was about LBJ but it did spur me on
- …to learn more about the defeated candidate in the race:
- ‘Coke’ Stevens and the demcratic political boss
- that put LBJ in the 1948 senate, The Duke of Duval
- …George Berham Parr
- Means of Ascent paled in comparison to
- …the blockbuster volume 1 The Path to Power.
- A senatorial race in Texas 1948 may seem to be a turning point
- …in modern politics but is was just a ‘run-of-the-mill’
- type of campaign in USA even today!
- The only difference being the role of
- Twitter, FB social media and the
- …phenomenon of ‘fake news’ websites!
- Backroom deals, bibes, intimidation even ballot-box stuffing
- …it is STILL going on.
- LBJ is just one of many USA politicians that have entered office
- by these distinct patterns or methods of operation
- ……Modus Operandi.
- Oh, don’t forget there are also rich fathers who make sure
- their son is the first Catholic president in the White House.
- I recommend the book about
- the MAN behind JFK…
- The Patriarch by David Nasaw (2012).
August 3, 2018
Listened to introduction that lasted 1 hour 11 min on IPOD!
This book will look at 7 years 1941-1948. LBJ won a senate seat in election 1948…by just 87 votes. Why was this election a watershed moment? It was the end of ‘ol school politics’ ( handshaking, backslapping and the three B’s: beef steak, bourbon and blondes) and the start of the new school politics (media, TV, backroom deals of pressure and persuasion).
August 7, 2018
August 14, 2018
…for being able to endure her insensitive husband.
August 15, 2018
August 16, 2018
Well, it’s official…LBJ did not buy his Texas senate election 1948…he stole it! Putting this man in high office…changed the course of history (Vietnam).
How many subsequent US elections have been stolen….I wonder.