Terry Pratchett: Nation
Nation is a fantasy novel set in an alternate universe.
Ermintrude (Daphne) and Mau are washed away by a
tidal wave and survive on an island in the Pelagic Ocean.
Much of the plot concerns these young people
cooperating for survival reasons.
Explorers from Europe vs native tribes living isolated on islands.
You have to be patient and try to enter Pratchett’s world…
because it is a story with many strange characters plot twists that
Mau and Daphne:
“One person is nothing…two people are a nation”
“…keep her away from the sherry, do everything she says
…and we might all live.”
Don’t drink your beer before you spit in it and
…sing Ba-Ba-Black Sheep 16 times!
- Be prepared to concentrate
- …because Pratchett has created a bizarre
- world on a Pelagic Ocean island!
- The author has filled Nation with stinging
- Strong point: social commentary about kings, bishops
- the planting of British flags in foreign countries
- …and the real decision makers in the government
- …the Gentlemen of Last Resort
- I would recommend using an audio book.
- Through the voices the story and the
- quirky characters come alive!
- This was the novel Terry Pratchett felt most proud of.
- It was my first Pratchett book
- …and I loved it!