Classic: Jane Austen
- Author: J. Austen
- Title: Pride and Prejudice
- Published: 1813
- List Challenges 2018
- Monthly planning
- Classic Club Master list
- #AllAboutAusten @Brona’s Books
01.08.2018: Sign-up post
What type of novel is Pride and Prejudice?
- This type of novel most satisfies readers wishes
- ..for close correspondence between life and art.
What is formal realism?
- Formal realism is defined as truth
- discovered by the individual through his or her senses.
Which authors are famous for formal realism?
- E. Zola, J. Joyce, J. Austen, H. Balzac,
- D. Defoe and S. Richardson are a few examples.
Pride and Prejudice: quickscan
- The marriage plot is between
- Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy.
- Elizabeth rejects Mr. Darcy’s proposal.
- Elizabeth proceeds in the normal course of her life.
- She encounters Mr. Darcy both at Rosings and
- …while she is on a visit to his estate at Pemberley.
- After she has had time to understand who he really is,
- …to learn the truth of his fine character
- …she comes to love and admire him.
- She hopes and wishes that he would propose again.
- By the end of the novel, she is of a different mind.
- The plot?
- We all know it by heart!
- I read the book in high-school and
- watched the BBC series in 1995 Pride & Prejudice.
- This adaption of Jane Austen’s novel was done to such perfection.
- As I read the book I saw the actors and actresses in this series
- ….flash before my eyes.
- Jennifer Ehle has done the impossible
- …she is forever will be, Elizabeth.
- The beauty, wit, and sparkling liveliness of the
- …character are perfectly captured in her performance.
- And Colin Firth’s Mr. Darcy is an exact match for her.
- His smoldering good looks portraits an unforgettable aristocratic reserve.
- Favorite scene in book and dvd?
- Darcy and Elizabeth engage in a long and stately dance together
- …in the midst of a crowd.
- They only have eyes for each other yet
- …remained controlled and exciting.
- The series and the book are classics in their own medium.
- After reading the book…
- I look forward to a #AllAboutAusten weekend
- re-watching this production!
- Thank you @BronasBooks f
- …or hosting #AllAboutAusten
- I read a Jane Austen book….and loved it!