The Trauma Cleaner
- Author: S. Krasnostein
- Title: The Trauma Cleaner
- Published: 2018
- List Reading Challenges 2018
- Monthly reading planning
- Trivia: Winner Victorian Premier’s Literary Award 2018 (non-fiction)
Who is Sandra/Peter?
She is a transgender, a survivor of a dysfunctional childhood, a husband, wife,
father, svelte star of many brothels and a savvy businesswoman.
What did I learn from Sandra?
Keep you life uncluttered…keep only what makes you happy.
Sandra: “I’ve made an executive decision.
This is shit”… and we are tossing it out!
- I just was so inspired by the strength Sandra showed
- ..when life threw her a curve ball.
- She helps her clients throw the junk out of their lives.
- She comforts them and always
- ...feels warm (character), like a car engine that’s been driving for hours.
Who was my favorite client?
A 70-ish “iron-tongued warrior in silken finery and bold beads.
Marilyn puttering around the house filled with junk and debris that almost sweeps the ceiling… with the aid of a gliding walker while balancing a gin and tonic on it in the early-morning light. Marilyn is a Christmas junkie… 2 artificial trees, Christmas-themed rugs, strings of lights an lots of Santas.
Hoarding does not discriminate on the basis of income or intelligence.
Strong point: Sarah Krasnostein can write! I am so impressed and happy I discovered this new writer.If this is a first book…I hope to read may more by Sarah!
Strong point: The book moved me to tears.
…and I mean that in a good way.
The narratives of the hoarders are as messy as their houses.
But Sandra has managed to maintain harmony in
her home and life as a means of survival.
- Sandra’s personal life is a rollercoaster ride of emotion.
- Hold on to your hat!
- But the chapters alternated with her work as trauma cleaner
- …..showing a compassion that just took my breath away.
- Sandra runs a tight ship when it comes to her business
- …but takes time to sit on the side of the bed with
- …’Marilyn’ in her lavender bathrobe.
- She assure her client that nothing is
- …tossed out with out her permission.
- Nothing goes in the dishwasher.
- Her workers will hand wash every utensil in the kitchen.
- Marilyn sighs a deep breath of relief.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.