Lemaitre: Couleurs de l’incendie
- Author: P. Lemaitre
- Title: Couleurs de l’incendie
- Published: 2018
- Trivia: List Reading Challenges 2018
- Trivia: Magic Square Challenge – A Translated book
- Monthly reading plan
- Theme: morality of revenge …when is revenge justified?
- Plot: Main character (Madeleine) has been wronged and becomes obsessed by revenge.
- Classic elements: disguise, deception and ‘framing’ victim with false evidence
- Madeline: The Mistreated Villain:
- A character who does things which the audience perceives as wicked,
- ….but only because he has been driven to them by the way she has been treated.
- Gustave: The Flawed Ruler:
- This powerful man with a flaw which causes his downfall.
- Paul: The Innocent Babe:
- The babe is often a victim of malignancy and
- …is the trigger for the revenge played out in the plot.
- M. Dupré: The Sidekick/The Clever ‘fixer’:
- The friend who helps main character carry out her Machiavellian plans.
- This book is the second in Lemaitre’s new trilogy.
- The first book Au revoir là-haut was dazzling!
- The film version has just been nominated for 13 Caesars (French Oscars)
- If you haven’t read it….then put it on your TBR!
- With regards to Couleurs de l’incendie
- ...it left me wanting.
- It was missing something:
- the magical, lyrical text (1st book ‘clever scam’)
- no dramatic dialogue: heated rhythmic dispute to create a powerful effect.
- (1st book: Alfred and Edward were always arguing)
- In Couleurs de l’incendie …it was all ‘comme il faut’.
- Lemaitre uses ‘breaking The fourth wall only a few times.
- This is the imaginary wall that separates
- …the readers from the characters in the story.
- Perhaps he could have done that more often to draw ‘this reader’
- into the book.
- I read this book, but I was not ‘swept off my feet’ .
- I hope we will see more of his thrillers (polars) in the future.
- That is Pierre Lemaitre’s strongest genre.
ALTHOUGH TEMPTED – Bien que tentée
AFTER HAVING HEARD – après avoir entendu ( after hearing…)
A REVIEW – une critique littéraire,
A READING OF THE BOOK – la lecture de ce livre
FINALLY DISAPPOINTED ME – m’a finalement déçue
Rien à voir avec (nothing like….)
Au-revoir là haut. Dommage !