A Town Like Alice
Author: Nevil Shute (1899-1960)
Title: A Town Like Alice (1950)
Genre: fiction (Australian classic)
Trivia: (NT) #AusReadingMonth @Brona’s Books
- If you’re feeling a little touched by the sun, then
- …the Whole Hog may be for you.
- Read NINE books this November from all of the 8 states and territories
- …plus one freebie.
- The FREEBIE can be any book by an Australian author or
- or a book written by an overseas author but set entirely in Australia.
- Noel Strachan, an ageing and widowed solicitor,
- …had almost forgotten his client Douglas Macfadden
- …when in 1948 he received a telegram announcing his death.
- Strachan becomes trustee to McFadden’s niece Jean Paget
- who has inherited quite substantial sum from her uncle.
- The real story swings into action:
- Jean’s WW II experiences in Malaya and
- …what takes her to Australia is as much a
- …surprise for her as it is for the reader.
- This was a delightful story.
- Jean’s work in England as a typist, her hardships during the
- WWII and most of all her adventures in Australia.
- It is a war story, a love story and how one person can change a town.
- I followed Jean Paget’s journeys on a map…
- flying from Darwin to Alice Springs to Carins and back in a Dragon!
- Reading A Town Like Alice felt like a road trip ‘in a road trip’
- Title: the only reference to it is in chapter 10.
- A book should whisk the reader on a ‘magic carpet’ to far off places.
- After reading A Town Like Alice I would love to visit Brisbane.
- Carins, Alice Springs and if I really could dream….
- visit Green Island where Jean and Joe
- …finally pledged their love for each other.
- I’ve read 3 books by Nevil Shute… (all during past.. #AusReadingMonth )
- On the Beach (1957)
- Trustee from the Toolroom (1960) and
- A Town Like Alice (1950).
- I saved the best for last!