- Author: Gao Xingjian (1940)
- Title: L’ami
- Genre: memoir ….only 22 pages
- Published: 2001
- Trivia: List Reading Challenges 2017
- Trivia: Nobel Prize Reading Challenge
What could I find about the author Gao Xingjian?
- Gao Xingjian is a Chinese émigré novelist, playwright, and critic .
- He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature 2000.
- He is also a noted translator screenwriter, stage director, and a celebrated painter.
- In 1998, Gao was granted French citizenship.
- I’m careful about embarking on a long book by a Chinese writer.
- Sometimes I’m lucky, sometimes I’m not.
- I read L’Ami to give myself a ‘taste’ of Gao Xingjian’s writing.
- I want to read more of Xingjian’s books….but in English!
- This book is written in such a simple style
- …..it feels complex.
- Tone: nostalgic – two old friends (60+) meet again after 13 years.
I knew it was you…your hair is white.
Why didn’t you write?’
Tell me exactly what happened that day.
Are you oke?’
- I enjoyed reading this very simple story
- …and must admit it lingered in my mind longer than
- some 500+ page novels!