Cast of Characters: Golden Age of The New Yorker
Wolcott Gibbs, Dorothy Parker, James Thurber
- Author: T. Vinciguerra
- Title: Cast of Characters: Golden Age of the New Yorker
- Published: 2016
- Trivia: #NonFicNov
- Trivia: List Reading Challenges 2017
- The New Yorker has and still is beyond rivalry to a
- position of supremacy among American magazines.
- It has attained this by its the quality of writing.
- Of course, aspects of the New Yorker have always irritated people
- …its arrogant elegance.
- Raymond Chandler wrote:
- “Beyond the superficial sophistication the whole attitude of the
- New Yorker seems to me to have that same touch
- …of under-graduate sarcasm. (Ouch!) (pg 206)
- But I have not lived a day of my life without the magazine.
- It was in our house in 1950’s.
- I adored the cartoons of Charles Addams as a child.
- I am still addicted to the short fiction and profiles pieces.
- Book and movie, theater reviews?
- The New Yorker is my ‘first go-to source’.
Hilton Als is the current theater critic.
Hilton Als never disappoints
His reviews are literary works of art, magnificiant!
He introduced me to some new American Theater playwrights
…who are serious, original, and deeply ambitious.
- Here are only a few worth reading….
- Annie Baker, Thomas Bradshaw, Lucas Hnath, Branden Jacobs-Jenkins,
- ,….Richard Maxwell, Sarah Ruhl, and Young Jean Lee.
- I have had a subscription to the New Yorker
- …for more than 40 years here in The Netherlands.
- It is my most treasured ‘link and contact’ to the old country.
- I’ve read a biography of Dorothy Parker,
- What Fresh Hell is This
- Collection of Essays by E.B. White and
- …many books by James Thurber.
- But I knew nothing about the abrasive Wolcott Gibbs.
- He was the theater critic from 1938 until his death in 1958.
- Wolcott wrote some of the magazine’s most remembered pieces.
- Wolcott Gibbs is by far the central character in this book
- .…followed by
- E.B. White, James Thurber, A.J. Liebling, Harold Ross, William Shawn
- …Charles Addams and Katherine White.
- Curiously…there was very little mention of Dorothy Parker
- …and Richard Bentley!
- If you love the New Yorker this is a …