Q&A AusReading Month 2017
Tell us about the Australian books you’ve loved and read so far.
- I joined AusReading Month 5 years ago @Brona’s Books.
- I was clueless about the country and knew of only one author: Nevil Shute.
- Brona was there for me ….providing tips, book lists and suggestions to get me started.
- Now I can’t STOP reading Aussie!
Reading list: 2012 – 2017
Most favorite Aussie books: These books made a lasting impression on me
- Thea Astley: Inventing Her Own Weather (K. Lamb)
- All of T. Astley’s books:
- Girl With a Monkey
- A Descant for Gossips
- The Well Dressed Explorer
- The Slow Natives
- Birds Mind: Cognition and Behaviour of Australian Native Birds (G. Kaplan)…amazing!
- Past Carin’ – (Henry Lawson) – stop and listen to the poem….the hard life in the Outbush.
- A poem which records the lament of a bush woman whom hardship and tragedy have made ‘Past Carin’’
Least favorite Aussie books: I felt I wasted my reading time.
- The Magician’s Guild (Trudi Canavan) fantasy
- Georgiana Molloy: The Mind That Shines (B. Barry) non-fiction
- A Guide to Berlin (Gail Jones) fiction
- Weak point: the writing was repetitive, lacking creative imagery and just dishwater grey.
2. When you think of Australia, what are the first five things that pop into your mind?
- Sydney Literary Festival (May 2018)
- Nevil Shute
- Foster’s beer
- Dragonfly airplane (De Havilland)
- I would love to visit someday…but now only in books!
- What are the pro’s and con’s about travelling to/in Australia for you?
- ….long flight (con) …visit towns/places I’ve read about! (pros)
4. If you have been or plan to visit, where will you be heading first?
Australian fiction and non-fiction list:
- The Hate Race – M. Clarke
- The Other Side of the World – S. Bishop
- Portable Curiosities – J.Koh
- Dying in the First Person – N. Sulway
- The Redemption of Galen Pike – C. Davies
- Secrets Between Friends – F. Palmer
- The Eye of the Sheep – S. Laguna
- The End of Seeing – C. Collins
- The Neighbor – J. Proudfoot
- Talking to my Country – S. Grant (NF)
- The Art of Time Travel: Historians and Their Craft – Tom Griffiths (NF)
- One – Patrick Holland
- Seeing the Elephant – Portland Jones
- That Devil’s Madness – D. Wilson
- Soon – Lois Murphy
7. Which book/s do you hope to read for #AusReadingMonth?
- Aunts Up the Cross by Robin Dalton – NSW
- Power Without Glory by Frank Hardy – Victoria
- Salt Water – Queensland
- Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. – Western Australia
- A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute – Northern Territory
- Into the Heart of Tasmania by Rebe Taylor – Tasmania
- The Grief Hole by K. Warren – ACT ( author is from Canberra)
- The Element of Need: Murder and Memory in Adelaide by James Bradley – Southern Australia
- A Boat Load of Home Folk – by Thea Astley overseas setting (Pacific Island) – FREE
- Five?? only one Dingo
- Kookaburra ( …thanks to Gisela Kaplan)
- Galah ( …thanks to Gisela Kaplan)
- Shrike-tit bird ( …thanks to Gisela Kaplan)
- kangaroo desert rat (…thanks to Don Watson)
- I have no clue!
- I do remember the female PM….
- I can see her face, hear her voice….
- but the name escapes me.
- Gold Rush equipment ( Miners Gold Cradle)
Hope you enjoyed my thoughts!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.