- Author: P. Roelofs
- Titel: Johan Maelwael (1370 – 1415)
- Published: October 2017
- Trivia: P. Roelofs is conservator 17th C Dutch Art at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam
- I visited this exposition on the opening day 06 October 2017
- Catalogue of fifty breathtaking medieval treasures –
- paintings, illuminated manuscripts, precious metalwork and sculpture –
- united in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (06 Oct 2017 – 07 Jan 2018)
- to tell the story of Dutch artist Johan Maelwael.
- The absolute center piece of the exhibition is “La Grande Pietà Ronde”
- from the collection of the Musée du Louvre.
- This Lamentation of Christ, painted for Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (1363-1404),
- combines the subject of the Suffering Christ with that of the Holy Trinity.
- The round panel, preserved in a pristine condition,
- is one of the rare works attributed to Johan Maelwael to have survived.
- Purchased by the Louvre in 1864
- ….it has never left Paris since 1962.
“La Grande Pietà Ronde”