- Author: A. Weir
- Title: The Martian
- Published: 2014
- Trivia: log book is divided into ‘sols’ = 39 minutes longer than one day
- Trivia: Finalist 2014 Audie Awards (Science Fiction)
- An Audie Award bestowed annually in the United States,
- recognizes outstanding audiobooks and spoken-word entertainment.
- The award is given in 30 categories…
- ….the Oscars of the audiobook industry.
- Watney is alone on Mars after surviving a horrific dust storm.
- In addition to a limited supply of food and water,
- …Mark Watney has no idea how he’s going to make contact
- with another human being or how he’ll get home.
- Log book: Mark Watney who is stranded on Mars notes down or ‘log’ what he has done.
- A log gives you an accurate record of a process and helps you
- …reflect on past actions and make better decisions for future actions.
- Occasionally there is just one reflective sentence i.e.
- “I wonder how the Cubs are doing.” (pg 12)
- First sentence ch 1: “I’m pretty much fucked.”
- Last sentence ch 1: “So, yeah. I’m fucked.”
- Between these two lines the reader is flooded with Mark Watney’s
- …calculations for survival on Mars.
- At times my eyes/ears (audio) glazed over waiting for more interesting words.
- Over time the reader is transported back to earth.
- Via satellite images NASA discovers that Mark is still alive….
- These short sentences are make
- …communication more casual and conversational.
- Start of a paragraph to grab attention:
- Ugh! This is backbreaking work! (sol 15)
- This may be my last entry (sol 33)
- Well, I didn’t die. (sol 33 (2))
- At the end to summarise:
- Fix the damn radio. ( sol 9)
- Bleh. I’m going to bed. (20l 25)
- Time will tell. (sol 30)
- Make an impact, create punch and make a point:
- I’m going to be setting a fire. In the hab. On purpose. (sol 32)
Vocabulary: is very informal:
- Blah, blah, blah
- We got whacked
- Blood came in behind […] reduced to gunk
- Crappy TV shows (vulgar slang)
- Chemistry being the sloppy bitch it is… (vulgar slang)
- Weir includes the word I just hate:
- …awesome (13x) …just overused everywhere!
- The audio book was better than….reading the book!
- I never thought I would say that. Ever. (truncated sentence for impact!)
- This book is a conversation with quips, jokes, slang Mark has with himself.
- He thinks he’s clever and he WILL survive…”Rimshot” (sol 385)
- ….at other times he is bored, depressed
- and needs a break from thinking, surviving.
- He listens to disco left behind by the commander and
- …episodes of Three’s Company.
- The book is a technical step-for-step plan for survival on Mars.
- Andy Weir has a breadth scientific knowledge and
- has studied the Urban dictionary cover to cover !
- “The hab (tent) looks pretty ‘ghetto’ now.” (pg 265)
- Mark Watney is an endearing
- …astronaut with a wonderful sense of humor
- and a ‘redneck’ attitude.
- I’m not a SF or fantasy fan and…
- I only read it because it was finalist in the Audie awards 2015.
- This book surprised me.
- IT WAS WONDERFUL !
- I enjoyed Mark Watney because:
- surprising readiness to celebrate failure (‘So yeah. I’m screwed)
- He loves small pleasures:
- 1970’s TV shows on laptop
- Agatha Christie Evil Under the Sun
- …and he asks NASA for music…anything but disco!
- The sentences are thrilling filled with exactitude
- …about his calculations of survival.
- Do yourself a favor….listen to AUDIO book
- …you won’t regret it!
- I watched the movie…..
- and the script was missing the ‘deadpan’ Matt Damon humor!
- Felt like pie without the filling!
On June 12 2017 NASA’s Kennedy Space Center unveiled a robotic Mars rover that will launch in 2020 and will land on the planet by 2021.
Mars is closer than you think!