- Flordita Bar ‘La Cuna del Daiquiri’ (1955) (King of the Daiquiri)
- where the Hemingway Daiquiri was created.
- L/R: Roberto Herrera, Byra ‘Puck’ Whittlesey, Jack ‘Bumby’ Hemingway (eldest son)
- Spencer Tracy, Ernest Hemingway and Mary Hemingway (wife).
National Daiquiri Day 19 July
- I love books….and a good wine.
- But I never really entered the world of cocktails.
- Now is the time to find the stories, facts behind the recipes
- …with just a touch of irreverence.
UPDATE: 20 July 2017 ( …the day after)
- After my very first Daiquiri…I cannot fathom knocking back a
- 4 or 5 of these cocktails on a lazy, steamy Havana evening.
- This was Hemingway’s daily routine while in Cuba
- …mornings spent writing and afternoons spent fishing!
- The Daiquiri is not a sweet swirl in the mouth but
- …more ‘pucker up those lips’ kind of frappé.
- You could relax with this drink for an hour on a…hot summer evening!
- If I made it again….
- I’d increase maraschino to 1 tsp or 2 tsp
- …just to take the bite off.
- But that is just my own preference.
- PS: I need a cocktail shaker with integrated strainer.
- The ‘bar’ in my kitchen was a disaster.
- Limes, grapefruit rolling around and ice cubes that
- …would not stay in my improvised shaker.
- It was a mess.
This is my choice: Leopold Vienna cocktailshaker 500 ml rvs
- 3 ¾ oz White Rum (110 ml)
- 2 oz fresh lime juice (60 ml)
- 2 oz fresh grapefruit juice (60 ml)
- 6 drops of maraschino liqueur (1/4 tsp)
Blend well with ice. Serve in a large chilled goblet.
UPDATE: 02 Aug 2017 – easy recipe! less measuring….
- Juice of 1 grapefruit
- Juice of 2 limes
- 40 ml rum
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry liqueur
- I made this to celebrate Peter O’Toole’s birthday today!
- Cocktail historians tell us that the Daiquiri was invented around 1900.
- An American mining engineer by the name of Jennings Cox
- stationed in the southeastern Cuban beach town of Daiquiri
- was preparing to entertain some visiting friends from the States.
- To his horror, he discovered that he’d run out of gin.
- Cox did have a goodly amount of rum, sugar, and limes.
- So he just put those ingredients together…shake…strain….serve!
- The cocktail was perfected by C. Ribalaigua…
- ….bartender and owner of Havana’s La Florida Bar.
- Hemingway began frequenting the Flordita Bar in 1932 during
- …visits to Havana from his home in Key West.
- In 1937 the bar named a Daiquiri after him.
- …..now it is time to relax and enjoy
- …some french cheese, crackers and my cocktail!