Outside: papiers d’un jour
- Author: M Duras
- Title: Outside: papiers d’un jour
- Published: 1980
- Language: French
April 10, 2017
- First 12 stories: I liked only 3!
- 6 stories had ‘no real point, message’….just blah, blah.
- 2 stories were too academic…way over my head.
- 1 story was disgusting (Paris abattoirs, animals) just stopped reading, jick!
April 11, 2017
- 12 stories and I liked only 3! (about literature and politics)
- 2: no point, Duras talks in circles (traffic policeman and
- artist Jeanick Ducot)
- 3: interviews: 2 with children and one adult (boring)
- 2: description of Paris on 05 August 1958; next story was
- about her village Neauphle-le-Château
- that has 1 café, 1 jukebox…and closes early.
- 2: old woman visits same bar every night since 1914;
- girl and boy walking home to metro. (so-so)
April 12, 2017
- “I’ve read 30 stories….and am NOT impressed.
- M. Duras does not excel in writing non-fiction.
- Her fiction prose influenced by her exotic childhood in Gia-Dinh
- (a former name for Saigon, Vietnam)…is much, much better.
- I will put this book on the ‘back burner’ for a few days
- and see if it is worth finishing.
- I read 40 stories of the 116 selections;
- Duras has the gift of a snow-job.
- Her style is so fluent you think she will
- express great thoughts
- ….yet she just confuses the reader.
- Many stories I read were interviews.
- We hear Duras’s questions….but answers from
- children, hoodlums, criminals and a carmelite nun.
- Last thoughts:
- I don’t easily give up ….but it’s
- time to close this book…and move on.